NEXT DESTINATION UNKNOWN

LOOKOUT FOR NEXT LOCATION

Friday, December 10, 2010

Tom Waits -'Come On Up To The House'.wmv

I saw Tom waits on somebody's favorite list on face book.. I recognise Tom not because I am a fan or a fan of country gospel but I introduced to the music of Tom Waits when I was living in Philedelphia back when I was in Uni.  I needed a job then n was looking in the papers...I remember this very well..I came across this ad that says ... "Able to lift 25kg sacks". I called in..asked for an interview. He person who answered gave me the address n directions to get there.  I got on my bike...rode down to be interviewed..I got there, n was pretty surprised...Wat stood in front of me was a big Wind Mill..I tot to myself...WAT!!! I parked my bike..went thru the door n was even further surprised. In it was a bakery. I saw all kinds of pies...many pies!! I asked for the person i spoke to.  I was met by this gentlemen named Dave. Dave was the chief baker of this place...the only baker I found out n needed help.
I got the job n turned up the next day.
The kitchen was in the basement of the windmill. I will never forget this place...I love it. It had a three deck rotating oven. Dave made everything himself...n he slowly tot me my duties...I made root bear, pretzels, n of course, PIES!!! Not just any pie...they called it Shoo Fly Pie. I only later on realized that the name was given by the Amish Folks cus they would bake a pie , made it extra sweet just so that it would attract the house flies away from the house. But this pie- the shoo fly pie wasn't just any ordinary pie... Look up the recipe if u can.. pie crust n maple syrup...thats all the ingredients in the recipe. But to makes a really good shoo fly pie takes awhile to achieve. So there I was...in the middle of East America, in the middle of winter, working in a bakery that sat under a big wind mill, and more interestingly, working for an Amish Family. If u don't already know...the Amish are a sub-group of the mennonite church n they believe in simple living, they all dress the same plainly, mostly in black, have long beards, n they do not employ modern technology. Everything was made by hand. Wow!!! now that I think back...this was my first experience in a kitchen n even more interesting, the Amish were actually Artisan in a way...
Back to Dave n Tom Waits...
Dave listened to Tom Waits all day long. I didnt quite get the music at first but there was this one song - COME ON UP TO THE HOUSE..that caught my attention, n I'll tell u more n why this song caught my attention later on.
The 25kg turned out to be 25kg sacks of flour. :-) Everytime I see a 25kg sack of flour being delivered to the kitchen or I see one lying around, it'll remind me of Philly, Dave the Baker, Tom Waits, 25kg sack of flour, Shoo Fly Pies, Ally Cat, n DUTCH HAVEN.
check out the pictures :




I tried recreating the shoo fly pie recipe but It just didnt turn out as nice as it did when i was making it in philly. It must be the flour or maple syrup. I'll post some pics of my attempt next time.
Anyway...that was the beginning of my culinary journey. It wasn't all french. Thanks for being dead broke n jobless at that time, thanks for Ally bringing me to Lancaster Philly, thank you Dave, thank you Toms for taking me thru the day everyday. Thank you Dutch Haven.
and here's the song I listened to every single day.


No comments:

Post a Comment